Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Laundry

 
I knew the minute I opened my eyes that morning I was in for an adventure. . . .It was one of those things that you just know and spend the day in anticipation until the surprise is revealed.
 
It was a sunny but cold Christmas afternoon as we strolled the streets of Colonial Williamsburg. . .with no special destination. . . .until we neared the Peyton Randolph home. . . .A little voice inside my head said, "This is it. . . .There's something special here for you to see."




We visited the home--upstairs and down. . . .the garden house. . . .the stable. . . .the grounds.
The guided tour was almost over. . . .Did I hear wrong? . . .Did I miss it?
 
Then. . . .there it was. . . .the laundry behind the Randolph home. . . .I knew this was it. . . .I knew this was what I had been waiting for. . . .




Serene. . . .sunlight flooding through the window. . . .the room drew me in.
 
Lagging behind the others, I found myself alone in the calm and quiet of the long abandoned laundry. . . .in another time and place. . . .where tubs and buckets are scrubbed and waiting to be filled once more. . . .



 
Where Light and Shadow literally danced around the room. . . .From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw someone move. . . .Ghosts of the past played with my senses. . . .




What was that? . . .Did someone whisper something behind me? . . .I turned to answer. . . .No one in the room but myself. . . .although I could swear I heard someone laugh as I shook my head in disbelief. . . .
 
And there! . . .Was it another shadow. . . .or did something move by the fireplace? . . .I nervously giggled. . . .And who did I feel just now so close to me? . . .I stood very still for a time. . . .smiling from ear to ear. . . .feeling alone. . . .yet, not so alone. . . .
 
The minutes ticked off. . . .the only sound I heard now was the click of the camera as I tried to capture these special moments. . . .alone in the past. . . .with only my imaginings. . . .or were they?


Way too soon, it was time to leave. . . .my active imagination had run rampant long enough. . . .Afterall, it had to have been my mind playing tricks on me, didn't it? . . .Others waited for me to rejoin them in the 21st century. . . .I stepped outside and started down the narrow path.
 
Then. . . .on a whim. . . .I quickly glanced back through the door. . . .and stared--again--in disbelief. . . .

 
 
. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . . .
 


14 comments:

On a Wing and a Prayer said...

Oh how I enjoyed this post...your imagination? or was it something else...so much like mine! there is a feeling one gets in place's and you were NOT alone as you felt those from the past around you! I love the vividness and beauty of the pictures and history lesson...but then end..I loved best!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Very fun post! Love all the pictures. You certainly captured the spirit of the place. I love how buildings and houses have such a sense of history, one can feel all the living that has been done.

Unknown said...

I also loved your post and can relate to your "feelings". Close to where I live is a village called Kings Landing. It is a working 1800's community along the St. John river in New Brunswick. I visit 2 or 3 times a year and always have the feeling that someone is looking over my shoulder. LOVED your ending.

Cindy said...

Oh Dru: you gave me goose bumps. I can;t say I've ever had those feelings. I love your blog.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Loved the post about the Peyton Randolph house laundry! I have those same feelings in certain places. We live in Fredericksburg and live on property once owned by the Washingtons. The Civil War was such a horrible battle ground in our area also---we have many tales to tell of folks who "linger" nearby. ♥

Old Time Cindy said...

Wow, interesting little tour and experience. If the walls could talk...or did they?

Debby Ray said...

What a cool post! Wouldn't you love to back to that time...just for an hour, a day, a week? Thanks for sharing your imagination with us :)

Happy D-Day!
Debby

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Now that was sheer loveliness! Not sure I 'get' the last picture or rather where it is (I do 'get' what you're implying)... but loved walking thru this wonderful experience with you. Great little photo shoot!

cynthia lee designs said...

Great post!! I love going to historical villages and stepping back in time...if only for a few hours.
hugs,
Cindy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Just something about the laundry that holds a special spirit. You had me from the very beginning with the white linens and the wonderful buckets and irons!
hugs,
Jann

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

LOVED this post! Love your blog! I wish I could visit these places with you. We'd have fun with our imaginations running wild!

kathy said...

Beautiful post, I loved it.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

What a vivid post!I really felt as if I were with you there. You are such a good writer. The picture in the end gives me goose bumps! The reality of people and working hands. Places that tell stories in time that over lap with today! Just awesome, Dru!
Blessings,
Susie

Sam I Am...... said...

What a wonderful post! But "urine"? Really???? Amazing facts and I love visiting the past too. thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...