Friday, March 16, 2012

A White House Cookbook of My Own





Many of you may be familiar with the White House Cookbook. Originally published in 1887, Grandmother's 1915 edition is the only cookbook she owned.  It's very fragile, as you can see. I rarely use it, but there are certain recipes and information in it that I find invaluable.

Imagine my excitement when I found a 1967 edition of the same cookbook recently at a thrift store for $2! . . .The cover and cover pages were not in great shape, but the inside pages were very good. Of course I bought it!





As I was photographing my copy of the White House Cookbook,
I laid it on an old cotton towel, as you see here,
and thought, "Why not cover it with the dish towel?"

Sometimes things just happen.
 

I first covered the stained pages with acid free paper. 
Then it was just a matter of attaching the dish towel to the book.

Very simple.
 

 I had a pile of doilies I'd just washed in a basket close at hand.
 Another "brain storm"--why not use doilies for bookmarkers?
 No attaching.
 Just place the doily in between the pages! I loved it!

And, I'll love being able to use my White House Cookbook as often as I like.
In fact, I think I'll just leave it on the Baker's Cabinet for now. . .
 

Here's a peek inside:

 
The White House Cookbook is an interesting glimpse into a housewife's many duties 100 years ago. There are lots of simple recipes, health tonics, toiletries, and tips on housekeeping. 






 
Til next time. . .



1 comment:

Rose said...

love the idea using the doilys for bookmarkers. What a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...